We Energies, WPS Look to Buy Wisconsin’s Largest Renewable Mission

0

We Energies and Wisconsin Public Service (WPS), the largest utility companies in the WEC Energy Group, propose to acquire the Koshkonong Solar Energy Center, a planned 465 MW solar and battery storage project in southern Wisconsin. If approved, the project would be the largest renewable energy project in the state.

The Koshkonong Solar Energy Center would have 300 MW of solar energy and 165 MW of battery storage, in which solar-generated electricity can be stored and customers can be supplied with energy after sunset. The project is scheduled to be built in Dane County, Wisconsin, southeast of Madison. The total investment is expected to be $ 649 million. Koshkonong is part of the WEC Energy Group’s plan to invest nearly $ 2 billion in new solar, wind and battery storage projects at its utilities by 2025.

“The Koshkonong project is another key component in our efforts to build a sustainable future and ensure electrical reliability in the region,” said Tom Metcalfe, President of We Energies and WPS. “This winter – in Texas and other states – we saw the dangerous consequences of people without heat and electricity. Our focus on investing in affordable, reliable and clean energy means customers have the energy they need when they need it. “

The companies recently submitted the proposal for solar and battery storage to the Wisconsin Public Service Commission in Koshkonong. We Energies and WPS would own 90% of the project; Madison Gas and Electric would own the other 10%. The project is being developed by Invenergy. If approved, construction is expected to begin commercial operations in late 2022, in 2024.

This is the third major solar and battery project that We Energies and WPS announced this year. Earlier this year, the companies announced plans for the 325 MW Darien Solar Energy Center and 310 MW Paris Solar-Battery Park.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.